Be Thankful

The past several years have been exciting for us "computer junkies" out there.


Just a few short years ago, few of us knew what the Internet was and certainly had not "surfed" it. For me, that all changed around 1995, about the time I moved to Missouri.

Like most computer users at the time, I was logged onto one of the popular (and proprietary) on-line services: CompuServe.

I remember thinking the first time I heard the Internet mentioned and a reference made to its vast resources. I asked, "How could it contain more than what's available on CompuServe?" My, was I in for an awakening!

Some time passed before I actually "logged on" and witnessed the Internet in action. I remember the first time I watched as someone surfed the web. I realized quickly what an amazing concept the Internet is -- that of linking thousands of computers together to form a hug worldwide database -- and I was hooked.

So were thousands of others and we all know how the Internet has grown since 1995!

The Internet is an interesting case study for the use of Macintosh computers. It is estimated that from 20 to 40 percent of all computers used to surf the Internet are Macs

When it comes to design on the web, one survey says 60 percent of all web sites are designed using a Macintosh. This makes sense considering that most "mission critical" publications use Macs for publishing.

All in all, the Mac plays a large role in the on-line community of the Internet, as it does at America Online, which is the last of the proprietary on-line services to survive and flourish amid the growth of the Internet.

I remember a time when local computer club bulletin boards were all the rage and the way club members communicated on line with each other. Then came some early efforts at national on-line services. Remember Quantum Link for Commodore computers?

All in all, computer enthusiasts have a lot to be thankful at this point in computer history: fast machines, better productivity software, exciting games; the list goes on and on.

However, it is at this time of year that we need to push back from the flicker of the screen and spend quality time with what matters most, our families. Because no matter how sophisticated or how good computers get (especially the Mac), they'll never replace the warmth of a human touch and word from a loving mother, father, spouse, son or daughter.

Enjoy your computer this holiday season, but don't forget those who make life worthwhile.

And be thankful.

0 comments: Post a Comment